Thursday, January 28, 2010

Placement Mania


May be I am a bit late in writing on this topic, but better late then never. As I enter this last year of my college, the very first question everyone used to ask was oye placement hui kya?? . I never realised when this question started haunting me so much that even in my dreams i saw myself giving Interviews.

The first company turned up in Oct, & without much hopes & positve thoughts I sat for that company w/o much preparation, & then (as predicted), I wasnt able to make for it. Months passed on & I started getting really nervous about the bad placement scene in the college. Our discussions in the college changed from food, outings, movies , guys etc to placements :P. Around the end of 2009, news came that companies will be coming & everyone started gearing for them again.

The first one was a pool campus & there were sooo many students. May be this was the only time I saw so many students together after anugoonj. Anyways, so many students all dressed up in formals, it was a completely different experience to be a part of pool campus. Then started the preplacment talk, which I believe is meant to make you believe that this is the best company which ever existed & you would be the luckiest person on Earth if you get the job. I am sure every student sitting in that was just waiting to give the exam & know the result rather then listening to what they were saying. The presentation ended & we were directed to a room for the test. The test to my surprise was very easy & went very well. This followed a longgggggggggggg wait, a wait which was actually causing butterflies in your stomach. After 3 long hrs they came out with the results, 4 sheets of selected students and started announcing the names. With every name the heartbeat went up & down as if you were sitting on spacejump in an amusement park. 3 lists went by, & I started getting more & more negative with me actually shivering. Finally, my name came & that relief expression cant be described in words. Anyways, we were asked to report for the interviews the next day.

The next day started with a heavy fog, the reporting time was supposed to be 8:30 but due to fog I reached at 8:45 & there we were told that interviews will start from 10:00. A team of 10 h.r. people came for the interviews & the first 10 students were called. Everyone except a very few came happy out of the interviews, saying that it was a friendly interview, they will make you comfortable, don't go into that panel the hr is very rude.....so on were the statements being heard. Then came my turn & I was directed to my panel along with one more candidate. Already 3 girls were waiting before me. The best part of that last waiting line was that everyone there was shivering not because of tension but because of cold.

Finally after another 1 hr, I went for my interview. Trying to be formal, I wished him Good Afternoon & he politely asked me it was a long wait na??? I suppose he must have known what I wanted to say :P. I gave him my resume & took the seat. Then followed the first question, what did you do in your trainings & I replied. Then the second question "What is your final year project & immediately after my answer next followed "Do you think that company will accept your proposal?" I was assuming it to be a very serious kind of interview, but then came the best part "How a hybrid car works, did you watch 3 idiots?" yes sir I did. Can you tell me if we can drive all day long & then use the energy stored in the battery to power our house." A strange question But it went nice. And lastly followed "Do you want to ask something". Yes Sir, How will the environment be different for a person coming from Delhi, after throwing the question I thought why did I ask this silly question. A very friendly reply came from his side "You will have to eat idli. Do you like it" & I said "No Sir, not at all" & he replied "Then develop a habit of eating it". This was the best thing I could have expected before the result. I was 99% sure that I was selected. Relieved from the tension I finally ate something at 4:00 in the evening. The results were announced & hence I got my first job.

For me the experience of my first job interview was good, because I finally got selected. I thought I would be very happy & indeed I was, but for few friends of mine who were not selected I felt very bad. At such moments one find really difficult to console others because we know that we cant do it. This is I suppose friendship or may be the very basic human nature, that we want everyone around us to be happy only then we get the real joy. Anyways I wish all my friends get placed soon & then we will surely party hard. :D I also want to write about my second job should I ???? :P

4 comments:

  1. yaaaaaa......
    we would like to know ur experiance,,,,......
    wasei congrats.... :)
    n idli ki taraf liking badhi? :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog post... acchi tarah se describe karti hai tu toh tension ko.. main hota toh khaata hi rehta instead of no khaana till 4. waise kitni idli khayi tune?

    kya kya aaya test main ... aur koi tech rounds ni hue?

    waise doosri company ka bhi likhiyo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thnx :D ek bhi idli nai khayi maine...i hate south indian food..test was apti ismein kuch tech nai tha....d second company interview dat ws all tech...

    ReplyDelete