Thursday, February 11, 2010

Priorities

I read an email few days back which left me thinking. The email goes as follows:

A Professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, wordlessly, he picked up a very large and empty jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.

So the Professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles rolled into the open areas between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.

The Professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full. The students responded with an unanimous "yes."

The Professor then produced two cups of coffee from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar, effectively filling the space between the grains of sand.

"Now," said the professor, as the laughter subsided, "I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The golf balls are the important things--your family, your children, your health, your friends, and your favorite passions - things that if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full.

The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house, and your car. The sand is everything else -the small stuff.

"If you put the sand into the jar first," he continued, "there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls. The same goes for life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never have room for the things that are important to you. Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Play with your children. Take time to get medical checkups. Take your partner out to dinner. Play another 18.

One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the coffee represented. The Professor smiled. "I'm glad you asked. It just goes to show you that no matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for a couple of cups of coffee with a friend."


Its not that we don't know about these things. We always know that our family is most important to us. But still at the end of the day before going to bed, I seldom wonder how much time do I give to my family. I might be going away from them in sometime then how much time will I have for them. 90% of my mind is occupied with my career issues, then how do I say my first priority is my family.

I don't know what I exactly want to write in this blog, may be its something deep inside me which always asks me "Am I happy this way". Within few months I'll probably be away from my family & my best of friends, meeting them just once in 3 4 months or so. Will I be happy that way. I know we always adjust to the conditions we live in but we somewhere forget what we always wanted. Why? may be because of better career prospects, better jobs, better money etc. I sometimes feel what is the use of money after which we cant stay up with our families, friends. What is the use of such job which doesn't even give a husband & wife to spare out time for each other or for their children. What is the use of such achievement which brings in jealousy between two friends. What is the use of such career which separates you from your loved one through the distance which can never be covered. Do we actually know the difference between what we need & what we want. Have you ever asked yourself "If I was a free bird what would I wanted to do?"

I am not saying we shouldn't concentrate on our career. May be I'll be the last person on this Earth to say that. Its just that our surroundings & peer pressure of the society has made us forget the difference between our needs & our desires. We want all what our neighbour has otherwise we will not be considered at par with the society. If I cant make it to the best college or best job it is just as bad as failing. I seriously sometimes feel I can relive my college life & make it the best time of my life & do all what I want to.

I seriously want to give the golf balls more importance then the pebbles & I wish I can make a balance between the two.

4 comments:

  1. Always make the right decisions with the friends and family. Nice you are thinking about it , that means you are contemplating joining job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. no i m not contemplating joining job...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i know balance is important..bt usually mostt of us forget to balance it out..
    i.e. why the quote like "you dnt kno wt you got untill its gone" and "time waits for none" are so famous.

    ReplyDelete